My R10 finally arrived form Uair, and I have had a couple of days off work to build and fly it. I have made this post to show my current build. This has been tested with limited flight time so I can guarantee that things will change, but this is my real starting point, rather than the Uair build instructions.
With all the issues reported of components shorting against the frame, I decided to put cable Braided Sleeving on as many cables as possible (especially the cables that weave between the frame). To be perfectly honest I do not think this will add much to the R10 but things look a bit neater. The next step is to get some wider braiding and try to tidy up the power loom. I originally used Lycra wraps, but could not get on with them, so they did not last long.
Alternate Prop mount
The Uair install video showed an install method using prop converters, but with my shipment I also received an additional mount method. After breaking 3 prop shafts I moved over to the other method. No motors or prop shafts broken with this method so far.
Every bit of advice I read before receiving my R10 said install a better landing gear before flying. This is great advice and I highly recommend doing this. A user on the Uair forum (Brad P Danger) created a post with a 3D printable landing gear. I have been really interested in 3D printing but never had an opportunity to use it till now. I contacted a few 3D printing companies in the U.K and finally ended up using 3dprint-uk the parts arrived quickly, and I am very happy with the quality. It was by no means the cheapest way to mount some legs to the R10 but it looks very professional and I would do it again. I have used carbon fiber and aluminum tube so far as the legs, and they both work well. The legs are currently 20cm long but as I get better with the R10 I will shorten them.
While I am learning I have also cable tied a carbon fiber arrow to the frame to try to provide some additional protection for the motors and props. This seems to be working well.
Alternate Battery Mount
When trying to take off I was having real problems with the battery weighing one side of the quad down, which would tip the quad over and damage the props and motors. I moved the battery to the underside of the quad which has greatly improved stability on take off.
Another bit of advice I received from the forms was to install a lipo alarm. The new battery position means it’s not visible while flying the quad but its the last thing on my mind at the moment while flying so I will trust the audible alarm.
I purchased a Peli 1650 cast to protect my R10. Its massive! But it provides great protection and with the pick and pluck foam I should be able to arrange space for all my spares and additional equipment.