The first major upgrade I wanted to do to my ender 3 was update the electronics and stepper motor controllers. As a side benefit I also got a touch screen to replace the existing lcd. I was not to bothered about the touch screen but I got it all as a package price and it was very reasonable.
I ended up purchasing the following
- BigTree Tech SKR 1.4
- BigTree Tech TMC2208 v3
- BigTree Tech TFT35
As part of the upgrade, I wanted to use relocated all the electronics to the back of the ender using Teaching Techs all in one electronics case. This included the ender electronics and my OctoPI (RaspberryPi). I was concerned about the TMC2208’s getting hot so I used a remix of left-hand case to invert the RaspberryPI to allow space for a blower fan and duct over the TMC’s
To before the electronics arrived I printed the case and TMC blower duct. I also purchased some 50mm blower fans. To start off with everything was neat and tidy.
I followed teaching techs video on how to remove the the existing electronics and relocate all the connections to the back of the unit.
The above image shows current progress, the ender electronics have been removed and I am starting to wire the connections into the skr 1.4. It was at this stage that I was worried that my printer would be out of order for the next two weeks and maybe I had tried to do too much on one hit.
After a couple of hours of double checking documentation and cable management I managed to get all the electronics in place and ready for a test. This process was not difficult it just took time.
I am going to be tweeting the electronics and rewiring and I guess they will be never finished but I was happy with rev one. The air flow seems good within the case.
After all the hardware was setup it was onto the firmware. This was the bit I was most concerned about but it was actually pretty simple. I am not going to go into it here as there are plenty of guides on how to do it. I have a very basic configuration at the moment and this is another part I would imagine I will be tweeking for the rest of the printers life.
This was an enjoyable project but in hindsight, I don’t think I would go as far as I did this time in one step. The main reason for getting the SRK 1.4 was so I could change stepper motor drivers in the future. I now believe the chances that I actually do this are slim. It’s nice having the extra features of the SRK and If I were to do this again I would get the BigTree tech Ender 3 replacement board and do a straight electronics replacement.
I am very impressed with the TFT35, I did not think I would use it much due to managing my prints via OctoPrint but the nice interface has made me use it much more.